Saturday, May 3, 2008

When dating Chinese girls...

Today I was hoping to watch an NBA game on TV, but the sports channel instead had a dating etiquette show that I found very, very useful. It had a girl and a guy going out on a date together.

Among the useful lessons I learned were that girls don't like it when a guy:
-blows snot rockets on the ground or into his hand
-coughs up big balls of phlegm and spits on the ground
-sneezes on food at dinner
-doesn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom
-stuffs his face and eats like a pig
-grows out his pinky fingernail to better pick his nose and ears
-picks his nose
-litters

She was pretty grossed out by him at the end of the date and told him she didn't want to see him again.

I think is part of the public relations effort by the government (it was on government TV) along the lines of urging people to queue for tickets, trains, taxis, etc. Spitting has decreased a lot since when I first came in 1995. There is a smoking ban for bars, restaurants, and public areas that I think went into effect on May 1st. Enforcement will be difficult. Most of the foreigners are European who smoke at a much higher rate than Americans so they and the bars catering to them won't go for it. The Chinese also smoke quite a bit so I don't think they will go for it either. Interesting to see how the government cracks down to make it happen.

No comments: